Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A Big Long Story About A Job

So, yeah, we're moving to Kingman, AZ. My husband just accepted an offer at the hospital, in the radiology dept, as the PACS administrator. He's done it before, he can do it in his sleep. Here's the whole story.

We've been self-employed for years now. My hsuband started a business with a few other guys doing software development. We've loved doing it, he's loved it and we had long-term plans. Well, it's a long story, but Jason continued work (and continued to get paid) through November. Then we decided it was time to end it. Jason applied for a few jobs and called a few contacts.

He had an interview in Phoenix. We wanted that job; they really wanted him. But at the interview he was told they just initiated a hiring freeze but were still trying to get his position approved. In the meantime the hospital in Kingman called. Uh, why did you apply to Kingman? Before his interview we went there for a look around. It was, uh, well, ok. A lot of trailers... a Wal-Mart... oh, In-N-Out, Home Depot, ok. There were some nice houses. It was late in the day and getting dark so we couldn't really explore too much. J had his interview; they wanted him. He was called for a 2nd interview and called by the IS (computer) dept at the same hospital for an interview in their dept.

Before these interviews we decided to make another trip there to check it out again. We spent 9 hours in the car driving around the whole place. We saw every nice neighborhood, the schools, the mountains, the free, plethora of land and dirt roads. Most houses had a 3-4 car garage, RV access, huge RV garages, and huge backyards. We found a house we want. They actually have 2 church buildings and 5 wards. 5!

J went for his 2 interviews and the radiology dept offered him the job. He accepted. It is an easy job and good money. They pay over-time, they give raises for every new certification he gets. Our health insurance will be a quarter of what we're paying now and all hospital services in Kingman and through the Mayo Clinic in Phoenix will be free. Free. We could have 10 more babies and they'd all be free. But we won't have 10 more babies in case you were getting scared. J will have time to go to school.

We're planning the move now. We're looking for a short-term rental while trying to purchase our own place. I know it'll take some getting used to but we'll be close to family. Las Vegas is an hour and a half away, Phoenix is about 3. Vegas will be our temple; we can drop the kids off at the grandparents while we go.

The best thing about Kingman is the outdoors. There are mountains for biking, empty land for 4-wheeling (as in quads), and trails for hiking. It's cooler than Vegas in the summer and even gets a little snow in the winter (more in the mountains).

What can be better than all that?

5 comments:

Kayli said...

It sounds really fantastic! I'm so glad it worked out so nicely for you guys.

And okay, I'll let the ten more babies slide, but I'm counting on five more. At least.

Tracy said...

How exciting! Congrats to your hubs on the job! And yay for having free babies!!!! If that's not an excuse for 10 more babies, I don't know what is.

My husband's brother lives in Kingmen. I'm letting you know so that you stay away. He's a little um, how should I say... weird? I think he was running for mayor because he felt like it. He's got a good heart, mostly, but not a lot of brains to keep that heart pumping. His last name is not the same as mine though. Actually its the same as yours. :)

The Holdaway's said...

I'm so excited for you! And now I know a couple people to visit with whenever I make it out Vegas. You should have a couple more kids if you want to though... I'm happy that you are close to family too. Miss you lots!

Mindy Dean said...

awesome!

Scott and Elly said...

Congrats! That is so exciting and sounds perfect!