Monday, September 29, 2008

The One Where I Multitask...Or Not

I've been thinking a lot lately about multitasking lately as well. I just haven't been able to figure it out. I know what I want to do, and need to do, in a day or a week but it rarely gets done. The couple of things I've been able to combine is taking Zach for a bike ride with me. I get exercise, we spend time together and it wears Zach out for bed. I just don't have time for it every night. I can also work on the computer while waiting for Zach to fall asleep. But there is so much more I want to do.

I want to vacuum while listing items in my store.
I want to do the dishes while reading books to my kids.
I want to do laundry while packaging items sold in my store.
I want to cook healthy meals while taking Zach to karate.
I want to pay bills while taking loads to the post office.
I want to clean the bathroom while being in a good mood.
I want to do my other job while playing games with Zach.

I also want to clear the clutter, mop the floors, go to the chiropractor, get my allergy shots, hang out with friends, go on dates with Jason, watch my shows, keep up on politics and the economy and other current events, do projects around the house, cure cancer and solve the world's problems. I also would love getting back into some of the hobbies that I haven't been able to do for years: painting, scrapbooking, shooting, photography. I have yet to figure out how to do even a portion of this without having a severe mental breakdown, curling into the fetal position while sucking my thumb and singing show tunes.

So, until I can go on only 2 hours of sleep a day or I have enough money to hire myself a wife, I guess I have to be content on having a little bit dirtier house than I like, keeping on a few extra pounds, having wrinkled clothes, having a little less money, taking a few extra doses of "happy" pills, spend a little less time with the kids and hope they don't turn out to be serial killers, have a parole officer for life, or be a gas station attendant (not that there's anything wrong with that - the gas station attendant part.) And, usually, I am content with all that. Which is good because I don't think I know any show tunes.

5 comments:

Tiffany Alldredge Smith said...

You crack me up! You made my day, by the way, when you requested me as your "wife"! I don't know how you get done all that you already do - especially when you run two side businesses! You're awesome!

Melissa said...

Thank you! I'm so glad I'm not the only one going crazy with life. I was looking at the rather large stack of dishes on the counter (umm... with fruit flies ((gross, I know)) and wanting to cry yesterday cause I wanted to spend every last minute of the day with Mia since I had to come back to work today. The dishes still stand.

The Holdaway's said...

If only we didn't need to sleep...that's my dream and the only way to hope to get caught up on everything that needs done and everything that I want to do...

Gigi said...

I'm beginning to think that multitasking is over-rated, and am seriously considering giving myself a break. Would you like to join me? Anyone? Anyone?

Kathleen Mangum said...

Margot, Margot, Margot....pick one thing to work on... you can't do it all. My goal last month was to do the dishes every night, pathetic, but I did it. That sense of accomplishment will probably last me all year.